[vox-tech] Strange Install Fail

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Mon Mar 14 10:34:02 PDT 2011

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011, Bob Scofield wrote:

> Does anyone have an explanation for this strange problem of not getting beyond
> the login screen?  I'm obviously no expert, but I keep thinking I've got a
> hardware problem that will not allow me to run the more recent kernels.  And
> that is preventing me from installing Ubuntu 10.10.

No explanation, but I do have a hint for the next thing to try while
debugging the issue. Drop down to a text console (CTRL-ALT-F1 or
CTRL-ALT-F2). See if you can successfully log in at the text console or
not. If you can log in via the console, you can then look at the log files
in /var/log and the output of dmesg to get further info on what may be
causing the problems. If you can't log in at the text console, you might
at least get a useful error message in the process.