[vox-tech] Problems with missing 'missing' file

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 23 13:34:29 PDT 2011

Quoting Shwaine (shwaine at shwaine.com):

> And nothing about my reply contradicted this. In fact, my reply was just
> clarifying that the old Mac file format is just carriage return (\r) and
> not carriage return-line feed (\r\n) like the Windows format. This means
> that the vim substitution command to correct the Mac file format is NOT
> the same as the substitution command for correcting Windows file format.

Which entirely misses my point that I was giving a general approach to
cleaning up all endline problems.

But, since you are making a point of saying so, actually your reply
_did_ contradict my suggesting \r (and by implication, \n or whatever
else is required) as a search string, erroneously claiming that one
should use a literal CR if seeking to find ASCII 13 characters -- which,
as I pointed out, is a blunder and doesn't work.

Anyway, this is a poor use of my time at least, and I hope yours, too.

> Frankly, I don't see what was so controversial as to warrant such a long
> reply.....

I'll be delighted to dispose of further interruptions more briefly.

> What's so obsessive about giving people the correct information....

Ironically, your suggestion of using a literal CR is greatly broken.
Check for yourself.

Meanwhile, sorry, have to do real work.