[vox-tech] hacked site

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Wed Jun 22 12:18:17 PDT 2011

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, timriley at appahost.com wrote:

> This is scary. I would find another hosting company.

I would have to agree with this opinion. If the hosting company is not
responsive to reports of intrusion, then it is also likely that the
hosting company is not proactive in preventing intrusions. I've had
similar issues in the past and the compromises were ultimately traced to
poor configuration of the underlying server by the hosting company.

Remember, if they can get root/administrator on the underlying server, it
doesn't matter what you as the client do with your password, setup, etc.
Not even a virtual machine that you fully control will be safe from a
compromise of the underlying host server.

Find a hosting provider that has a reputation for securing their systems
and responding rapidly to intrusion reports. Even if it costs a little
more each month, the time saved by having the hosting company protect the
underlying system is well worth it.