[vox-tech] hacked site

David Spencer, Internet Handyman spencer at pageweavers.com
Tue Jun 21 09:45:43 PDT 2011

Jim, at this point I would consider your website compromised. Just because
you've changed the cPanel password doesn't mean that you've closed the hole
that the intruder used to gain access to your website. I would, at the
earliest possible moment, make a backup of everything and get it offsite
just in case the worst happens.

Next, I would perform an exhaustive survey of your website and determine
what new files have been placed there and if anything has been changed.
Finally, look at your website logs for that IP address (114.79.43.146)
to see what they've been doing. Somewhere in there is the clue as to how
they got into your website.

If it's just a weak ftp password, change it to stronger one. If it's a
MySQL injection (I don't see evidence of a database on your website but
that doesn't mean there isn't one there) then you'll need to have your
programs fixed.

Regardless, you need to take action immediately to ensure that the intruder
isn't going to get access again. Next time they could be less kind and just
take your website down and/or erase all your content. Hackers coming in
from Asia are an unfortunate reality in the wild west we call the Internet...

-- Dave Spencer, PageWeavers