[vox-tech] Speaking of no boot.......

Eric Lin notapplicable.haha at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 09:11:37 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 07:59:20AM -0700, jimbo wrote:
> I too have had a problem with my Linux drive and as Dr. Schronek I am not
> comfortable with the whole shell/bash thing.  Did I say that right?

Yes, as long as you don't say Bash shell. That'd be like saying ATM
machine.

> I repaired the windblows mbr and then changed the boot in bios.  I repaired
> Ubuntu again but it didn't work.  It still will not boot into Ubuntu.
>
> It appears that I have a working OS but the bootloader is somehow messed up.
> Is there an easy fix?

It sounds like you have your two OSs on two hard drives and you just
want grub on Ubuntu's hard drive's MBR? I believe you can just run grub
from Ubuntu via a livecd via chroot. Easy's a relative term.

Something like this, maybe:
1) Mount the Ubuntu partition to somewhere like /mnt/ubuntu.
2) Run these:
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/ubuntu/dev
mount -t proc proc /mnt/ubuntu/proc
mount -t sysfs sysfs /mnt/ubuntu/sys
3) Chroot:
chroot /mnt/ubuntu
4) Install grub:
grub-install /dev/hda, /dev/sda, /dev/hdb, or whatever.

Eric