[vox-tech] best way to validate an XML file?

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Fri Jun 10 15:38:42 PDT 2011

xmllint recognized if an end tag was missing, but it did not recognize
when I put in an extra attribute such as below. Eclipse recognized it
right away after validating against the schema. The "foo" tag is invalid.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd">

    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>com.brie.dto</groupId>
    <artifactId>mydb</artifactId>
    <packaging>pom</packaging>
    <name>Simple HSQLDB for OpenOffice</name>
    <version>1.0</version>
    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>hsqldb</groupId>