[vox-tech] Alternative to PHP Scripting

Gandalf Parker gandalf at community.net
Tue Jul 12 06:42:46 PDT 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> I've been trying to use PHP to create a backup script that would read
> filenames from a directory, then copy those filenames into a .zip file, then
> delete the original files. I wrote a PHP script to do this, but it seemed to
> spawn so many httpd child processes that the server load skyrocketed and
> users weren't able to get to our website.
>
> So my question is, what other options do I have for performing this sort of
> task?

Im not seeing what the web interfacing is. Did you want to kick off this
script from the web? You dont have access to a cron file to have it run
at set times?

But I think any language will handle what you want. Personally Id just
write it in shell script. It doesnt sound like it needs anything beyond
that. Or if it did then Id write it in Basic. Whatever you know.

Gandalf  Parker