[vox-tech] Alternative to PHP Scripting

Michael Robert Seydel micseydel at micseydel.ath.cx
Mon Jul 11 15:57:58 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Richard S. Crawford
<richard at underpope.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to use PHP to create a backup script that would read
> filenames from a directory, then copy those filenames into a .zip file, then
> delete the original files. I wrote a PHP script to do this, but it seemed to
> spawn so many httpd child processes that the server load skyrocketed and
> users weren't able to get to our website.
>
> So my question is, what other options do I have for performing this sort of
> task?
>
> --
> Sláinte,
> Richard S. Crawford (richard at underpope.com)
> http://www.underpope.com

Being a Python fan, I'd recommend Python. I would in particular use
mod_python for this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_python )
although mod_wsgi is the newer toy that might suit your needs better.
I know that mod_python for sure doesn't spawn child processes though,
which solve your particular problem.