[vox-tech] Formatting a disk for Macintosh using Linux

Chanoch (Ken) Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 19:42:52 PST 2011

I've been asked to move data from an old external hard drive to a new
one, and to make the new one compatible with the Macintosh. (The old
drive's USB connection has died, and I'm connecting to old the drive using
a PC card that provieds an eSATA to the drive. The recipient's
Macintosh doesn't have a PC card slot, so she can't access the old
drive anymore. Hence, the new drive.)

Naturally, I'm doing this data transfer using Linux. I've discovered
that I can format the drive as HFS+ using mkfs.hfsplus from the
hfsprogs package. But I need to know: do I need to do anything special
with the partition table? Is there a special Macintosh partition table
format that I need to format this disk to? If so, what tools can I use
to get the right format for the partition table?

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/