[vox-tech] Search Warrant Question re: GUID

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jan 7 15:58:49 PST 2011

Sounds to me like you should think about a GUID as a unique ID. In this
case it sounds like Gnutella assigns GUIDs to user accounts so it knows
who's who (mildly anonymously). My guess is that it's based on the user
account when they log in to Gnutella or it's assigned by the Gnutella
service to the IP on login.

Any program could have GUIDs as part of how it works, even my hard drive
have UUIDs to keep track of what partition is what. That doesn't mean
that there is some magic number that uniquely identifies your computer
to all who ask in the world. At least not in a way that wouldn't require
law enforcement to break the law to obtain it by hacking into your system.

Enjoy,
Alex