[vox-tech] Search Warrant Question re: IP Address Leases

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jan 7 15:54:22 PST 2011

Back in the day when people connected by modem this made a little more
sense. An ISP could expect that there would be some turn over rate and
each time a new person connected a IP would be assigned from the pool of
available numbers.

With high speed Internet, most people's modems are connected to the ISP
24/7. So in essence these days a dynamic IP just means that if the ISP
needs to shift you to a different IP (say to do service on some part of
the network) then they can just shift you around. Another way to put it,
they don't guarantee your IP to stay the same though in most cases it
will for very long periods of time.

So really it varies by ISP and by the method of connection.

Alex