[vox-tech] Fwd: Custom Linux Distro

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Feb 22 09:36:15 PST 2011

Fwd'ing to vox-tech, because Jason's not subscribed (at least not with
this address).

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from vox-tech-bounces at lists.lugod.org -----

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 00:23:27 -0800
From: vox-tech-bounces at lists.lugod.org
Subject: Auto-discard notification
To: vox-tech-owner at lists.lugod.org

Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 23:59:22 -0800
From: Jason Hsu <jlhsu at ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Custom Linux Distro
To: vox-tech at lists.lugod.org

   Hi Everyone,

   I have been referred by the CS club that you guys are the go to people for
   all things Linux.
   I am wondering if I can get some help with building a custom Linux distro
   from scratch with
   the kernel, libc, gcc, and busybox. Busybox doesn't have to be a
   requirement. If I can get the
   C library compiled, I'm sure I can compile every other program for it. The
   target is x86.

   I've looked at guides online and even attempted the Linux From Scratch,
   but I'm having a hard
   time with 1) the initramfs as my compiled kernel (version 2.6) would boot
   but unable to load the
   initramfs and 2) the kernel config has way too many options and I don't
   know what I can leave out.
   I don't need a lot of the built in drivers, just the standard ones for
   USB, VGA, etc.. and Broadcom
   and Realtek wireless drivers. If the kernel doesn't have it by default, I
   have the source so I can
   compile it in but I don't know how exactly.

   This may require a one on one session of sorts as I don't think email can
   suffice. I hear there are
   installfests and events that may provide such opportunities or if anyone
   in Davis wouldn't mind
   swinging by campus every once and a while, I have the target hardware and
   office space to work
   from.

   Thanks,

   - Jason