[vox-tech] Laptop for linux

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Feb 21 14:14:32 PST 2011

The key to long battery life in a laptop:
get the i5 not the i7 - it does not lack processing ability
get an ssd drive
get the extra capacity battery
stick to a 13-15" screen

Not sure if linux supports the graphics card switching on the fly yet,
but if it does something with a mixed mode on board graphics and
separate discrete graphics card.

I'm quite happy with my ZaReason (Asus), I know others with System76 and
Lenovo Thinkpads.

If you look at CES new stories there are quite a few options in the 8-12
hour battery range now, but for a good processor you should be able to
find a 5-6 hour no problem but it probably won't be cheap.

Enjoy,
Alex