[vox-tech] Ubuntu 10.10 S-video out on Dell Inspiron 1525 ???

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Feb 9 15:33:57 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 05:45:35PM -0800, Brian Lavender wrote:
> I was equally confused with the Xorg config file as you have been Bill. Were you
> able to figure out the problem?

I've had extremely limited time to look into this.  Someone on #lugod
suggested that 'it should just work,' and to a limited degree, it does.

When I KRandRTray in KDE (or run "xrandr --prop"), I see "TV1" listed
as one of my four outputs (the other 3 being VGA1, LVDS1 (laptop LCD)
and DVI1), but it's shown as 'disconnected', even when I've booted
the laptop with the S-video cable plugged into the TV, and the TV turned
on, and its input set to that particular port.  (On my TV, the
easily-accessible S-video and composite ports, on the side (vs back) of
the TV are "AV-3", and that's what I have the TV switched to.)

Further Googling has come up with a bunch of potential leads that I haven't
investigated, but here are a handful from the collection of bookmarks
I've amassed:

  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=9106&page=4
  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3108157.0
  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics#KMS_.28Kernel_Mode_Setting.29
  http://superuser.com/questions/192121/how-to-install-intel-82852-855gm-driver-on-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat

PS - I had issues with screen redraw under Ubuntu 10.10 and KDE 4.6,
and added the following apt source to fetch an updated Intel driver:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/glasen/intel-driver/ubuntu

That was before trying to use S-Video.  I also admittedly have not yet
tried other S-Video cables to ensure that it's not a cable issue.
(If that turns out to be the case, I'll be annoyed at the loss of an S-Video
cable... oh, and embarassed ;) )

Sent from my computer