[vox-tech] Fwd: GRUB problem

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Aug 19 18:31:30 PDT 2011

I received this, and was given the "OK" to pass it along to vox-tech.
Please Cc Martin when you reply, as I don't think he's on the list.

Thanks!

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Martin Huh <mhuh at usc.edu> -----

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 02:41:49 -0700
From: Martin Huh <mhuh at usc.edu>

I am a biologist working on bacterial genomic DNA sequences using a
Linux computer (high capacity labtop), in which both Windows and
Redhat Linux are installed in a dual booting mode.

I wonder whether you or somebody in your group can help me. I will
certainly compensate your efforts.

I have been using this system for several years, but recently
encountered a problem: the system would not boot, because I somehow
mismanaged a step during the booting.

I believe that the problem may lie in the GRUB program - the system
having gone awry - but that the data in both Windows and Linux
compartments are intact.

My hope is that you or someone can fix the GRUB program, so that
either we can reboot or at least we rescue the data. If it is
impossible to reboot, however, then can we at least rescue the data
somehow?

Martin

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer