[vox-tech] External vs. Bare Drive/Case

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Wed Sep 1 21:45:45 PDT 2010

On 09/01/2010 01:56 PM, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> I've often heard that the highest capacity drives available
> usually have the most platters and so are less reliable because
> of more moving parts

Sort of.  The parts of a multiple platter drive are bigger and heavier
than those of a single platter drive.  But there's the same number of
them.  So there's basically the moving parts are 1-N platters, 1 motor,
1 actuator, and one head assembly.

>, and they are more expensive. I wish newegg
> would list the number of platters a drive has

I don't see why people would care, nor have I seen any difference in
reliability.  You are assuming that there's constant engineering and
instead I'll claim that disk companies put in enough engineering to
maximize profit... this includes being reliable enough to protect their
hard won reputation.  So yes a 5 platter drive has additional
engineering... or reduced performance goals, but the same reliability goal.

>, supposedly 4 or 5
> is alot and 2 or 3 is a good amount. Sometimes you can find out
> from other sites like http://www.storagereview.com/ and
> http://www.redhill.net.au/ also has a lot of cool info about hard
> drives.

The google paper analyzed 1000s of drives and I don't recall any
correlation between platters and reliability.

Pretty much all brands have cyclic reliability.  Not sure if it's random
chance, or some kind of build the brand reputation, then sell
substandard drives to extract profit from the reputation.  In any case
maxtor used to be great... then not.  IBM used to be great... then not.
  Seagate used to be great... then not.  At least for now it seems like
WD is pretty good.  I've been using quite a few lately (around 100)
without problem.

If you want a 2TB for backup purposes I'd consider:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136344

It has 391 reviews with an average rating of 4 of 5 stars.  That's
pretty good, especially since it seems like people are 10x as likely to
fill out a review for a bad drive as they are when they expect and
receive a reliable drive.

I've seen seagate (which hit bottom about 6 months or so ago) with much
worse reviews, but they seem to be on the road to recovery, for instance
(286 reviews 3 stars)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148413

I know samsung has some major issues.  The drives tended to be much
heavier and much more fragile as they were working the kinks out of
their new glass/ceramic platters. Looks like they have gotten better
though, the reviews look similar to WD (4 stars 279 reviews):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152202

So currenty I'd rate WD as the more conservative bet, and seagate as the
one that is likely cheaper and likely to be fine as well.  Can't really
comment too much on samsung because I haven't bought any recently.

With backups the more copies the better.  So if you can afford 2 1TB
drives instead of 1 2TB you might be better off (depending on how much
you need to backup).  I'm particularly happy with a portable drive I
recently bought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136477

I expect 2.5" drives designed for laptops to be a bit better in shock
resistance and to be designed for an increased number of start/stop
cycles (I.e. a laptop with aggressive power conservation).  It's very
quiet, rather small (fits in a shirt pocket), sleeps when not in use
(automatically).  The reviews are 3 stars out of 5, but that seems to be
mostly related to some crapware that comes preinstalled but is
removable.  I've seen it on sale for $99, and was around that on sale at
costco recently (which is where I bought it).

All good options, I find it kind of shocking how reliable drives are
these days.