[vox-tech] procmail question

Tony Cratz cratz at hematite.com
Sat Oct 23 14:07:53 PDT 2010

On 10/21/2010 11:21 AM, Ken Bloom wrote:
> That's why I suggested GNU mailutils. It has a "sieve" command that
> looks like it's a standalone filter (procmail replacement).

	I would like to come back to this and ask a question just
	in case I did not see what I should have.

	Do you know if Sieve can rewrite headers. For example can I
	change the To: header, or the Subject: header. And if the
	answer is yeas, then can I take the new message and send it
	to my SMTP server (such as Sendmail) to redeliver the message
	to the new list?

	Maildrop was also mention, I only took a quick and dirty look
	at it. Can it also solve the above questions?

	The reason why I ask these questions, is this is part of the
	power of Procmail. Not only can you filter messages to different
	folders but you can change the headers and send the mail on.
	I have done this for years with Procmail for a Science Fiction
	group. I would tag the subject line (much like this message
	subject line is tagged with [vox-tech], and I would send the
	message to that years group of people. This allowed us to
	maintain the same E-mail addresses over the years.

	So before I continue to look at Sieve or Maildrop I would
	like to have these questions answered. Otherwise I don't
	consider either one as a true replacement for Procmail. I
	can only consider them as a filter program.

	Sorry for the delay in getting back to this topic. I had other
	things going on the last day.

							Tony