[vox-tech] Replacement for Neostats

Tony Cratz cratz at hematite.com
Thu Oct 21 14:06:05 PDT 2010

Hello:

	For a few years now I have been using Neostats (an IRC services
	collection) on a couple of IRC servers I run. On one of my
	servers, I just updated my IRCD (Inspircd) to the latest
	version along with the main IRC services package (Atheme) I
	have used. I just found at that Neostats is now a dead project.
	It is no longer being maintain and it looks like the home web
	page is so close to dead it that someone needs to just give it
	a time of death.

	I have been using Neostats mainly for only 3 functions. Open
	proxy scanning (which right at this moment I don't have a great
	love for, but that is another issue). Channel limit setting and
	the Logserv function.

	I can find a replacement for the Open Proxy Scanning. And the
	new version of Inspircd offers a good part solution for the
	join limiting (problem is if the server is restarted or the
	channel is closed the values needs to be reset). Currently
	I don't have a good solution for the channel logging for when
	I'm not attached to the channel. Oh there is a work around by
	using an IRC proxy which I may use yet but I'm looking for
	a better solution.

	The next issue is I have an Infobot (again a dead project)
	which is also known as a factoid bot. I may have a solution for
	that. I'm also looking for suggestions.

	So the question(s) is, does anyone know of a good replacement
	for Neostats? Which might also contain a factoid bot?

	I have done some research and have a list of 4 possible
	solutions which are:

		Acidbot
		Offbot
		Eiwic
		Eggdrop

	What I have read so far I'm not fully happy with any of these
	solutions but I need to do more research into each of them for
	a better idea, before I fully reject them.

	Any other packages which I'm might have overlooked. I want it
	to be module design and easy to configure. Most of the above
	packages offer modules which are already covered by Atheme
	which I consider a better solution for Nickserv, Chanserv,
	Operserv and so on, so I don't need those modules.

							Tony