[vox-tech] Chat program in 100 lines of code!

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Oct 20 09:56:07 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 09:12:52AM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
> I read a PERL column  that Randal Schwartz wrote a few years back
> (maybe 10 years back) about using a gpg signed email and the body with an
> image or some content that could be used to update a website. You would
> send the message and a procmail recipe would intercept the message and
> pipe it through a PERL script.

Heh, I once wrote a multi-user chat (kind of like IRC, with private
messages and "who's online?' list in less than 300 lines of Action!
(kinda Pascal-ish, C-ish language for the Atari 8-bit, obviously
targetting the 6502 CPU).

(That didn't count comments or blank lines, but plenty of keywords
that are basically the Action! version of { and } blocks... and those
are required, even for one-liners.  Also, there's no "else if",
you have to do it as an "if then [else] fi" block inside an 'else'.)

Good times.  Relatively useless.  It uses a product called Multiplexer (MUX)
that connected Ataris via cartridge ports, required each 'slave' system
to have an altered OS ROM chip installed, and required one 'master' system.
It was big for multi-line BBS use, though!

Woah, way off-topic now, sorry! ;)