[vox-tech] creating a bootable USB key

Thomas Johnston trjohnston at ucdavis.edu
Tue Nov 16 16:49:40 PST 2010

OK, I think I finally figured out something that would work. The first
key was finding the post:
http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/11/01/use-the-windows-7-usbdvd-download-tool-with-custom-isos/

and using his tool to modify the ISO of the windows install DVD. The
second thing was to use the multibootiso utility from:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-multiboot-usb/

to make the USB bootable and copy the iso files to the USB. That took
waaaaay too much effort.  If anyone needs to do the same but this
process doesn't work for them, I have two suggestions: (1) go out and
by an external optical you will save yourself a whole lot of time and
effort, and (2) you might try the procedure described here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistadeployment/thread/882d06e8-1ff5-4aff-bc5b-3418707015c5

Thanks for all your replies!

Thomas