[vox-tech] how to find the self-installed libs?

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Mon May 31 22:33:22 PDT 2010

You may have already solved the problem, but here are some extra notes
to confuse^H^H^H^H^H help in the matter. P-)

I believe that sometimes you can set the environment variable (below), if for
some reason it doesn't have a configure option to search in /usr/local
like the --include option Alex mentioned below.

export CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include"

export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"

This will help the configure script find your library. These
flags will be passed and used in the compile.

When you run your program, you may have to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
variable.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib

Just a word of caution. If you you installed libx264 under the Debian
package management system, and then you grabbed a more recent version
elsewhere, you will want to check that your executable is not grabbing
the one installed through package management. You can check this using
the command

ldd myexecutable

Here is a good tutorial. It's mostly for creating your own libraries,
but if you are the hacker type ( I assume that you are ), it will
provide useful insight.

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LibraryArchives-StaticAndDynamic.html

brian