[vox-tech] ssd and swap

Wes Hardaker wjhns156 at hardakers.net
Wed May 26 11:26:02 PDT 2010

CB> So IMO, swap is useless. If you can set up your computer without it,
CB> more power to you.

Personally, I've found that in the last 5 years or so the linux kernel
starts being less efficient once you hit the swap barrier.  It chugs
along fine until you hit swap then it slows down (as it of course would)
but once you bring the memory usage back below the swap-line it never
seems to recover to its initial speed.  Very odd.  I especially notice
this on smaller devices like my N900; I find that after I get to a
certain point of usage on my laptop or my N900 it's worth a reboot to
recover speed.  Gasp.  You should never have to do that!!!
--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/