[vox-tech] Looking for a Sunbird (Google Calendar) replacement

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 11 14:16:04 PDT 2010

Quoting Scott Miller (scottlinux at gmail.com):

> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird/download.html
>
> Yeah looks like sunbird is not in development anymore. Their site says
>
> "This is the last public Sunbird release by the Calendar Project.
> We recommend upgrading to Thunderbird 3 and Lightning 1.0 beta1."

I should note that Lightning basically _is_ Sunbird.

Sunbird was a bunch of XUL interpreted code for iCAL / CalDAV / DAViCal
functionality atop the Mozilla portable runtime.  Lightning is
that same XUL code refactored to run on the Mozilla portable runtime
inside Thunderbird 3.0.x or SeaMonkey 2.0.

It might be possible to run it on Firefox's copy of the Mozilla portable
runtime, though that's not addressed in the Web site's docs.  Seems
likely that there's been enough rewriting to accomodate Thunderbird 3 as
host that that might be nontrivial.