[vox-tech] netmeeting port setting on router

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat May 8 12:09:58 PDT 2010

Hai Yi wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I used netmeeting to share my desktop with my friend the other day,
> but I don't know how to set its port, my router is WRT54GS, the
> firware is tomato. My friend's router allows him to select from a list
> of applications, which includes netmeeting, then the router can
> determine what ports it uses. For netmeeting, it seems there are
> multiple associated ports.
>
> So in my case, how can I determine what port or ports I have to use
> for netmeeting?
>
> Thanks,
> Hai

That entirely depends on what options you choose in netmeeting. The
standard desktop sharing is on a known port, however I believe the audio
and video components are on randomly negotiated ports once the meeting
begins. The best way to get it going is to have people vpn into the
network that is hosting the netmeeting.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158623

You may consider moving to an alternate solution. Lately I've been
looking at http://www.bigbluebutton.org/home

Enjoy,
Alex