[vox-tech] vnc highjacked?

Matthew Holland mdholland at ucdavis.edu
Sat Mar 27 18:49:21 PDT 2010

You can further edit the vncserver script so that sessions only allow
local connections, which is what you make when you connect through the
tunnel that Alex suggested.  To make that step even more explicit, you
create the tunnel by doing:

local $ ssh -L 5901:localhost:5901 remote-host

where remote-host is where the vnc server is running, and "localhost"
is literally the string "localhost" and not some other hostname (this
is assuming that the desired desktop is on the first vnc display).
You then connect with

$ vncviewer localhost:1

Matt