[vox-tech] CVS demo files

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Mar 16 00:10:41 PDT 2010

Brian Lavender wrote:
> Here is an archive of the files from the CVS demo at tonight's meeting.
>
> Is there a way to do a local git or svn repository?
>
> brian

git repos are local by default, it only ever sends to the web if you
push. Also it's one folder, just go to the folder where you want to work
and do a git-init.

svn is similar to csv in that you can make a folder and do an svn init
then in a second folder where you want to work do an svn checkout with
the path to the folder where you made the repo. This isn't really the
best way to do a repo, especially an svn or cvs because you end up with
at least 2 copies of every file one in the repo and one in the checkout.

If you really want local only repos I think a DVCS(Git,Mercurial,
Bazaar) are much more efficient and easier to deal with - you never need
to remember where you made the repo, it's always the folder where you
work from and you don't end up with extra copies of the same files.

If you like forcing a remote backup svn or cvs to a remote server every
commit is nice, and may also be preferred if you need a strong central
repo for a project.

Note on the popularity question that came up, few new projects choose
cvs, most people you talk to prefer svn over cvs and many old time cvs
projects have moved to svn. That is unless the explicitly want a DVCS
and some do, but the jury is still out on whether it makes it easier or
harder for a team to work together, probably depends on the team and the
project.

Thanks,
Alex