[vox-tech] Mythbox hardward compatibility

Matthew Low low_matt at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 14:08:47 PST 2010

Greetings,

I'd like to enlist your help.  Knowing nothing about Linux, but having the desire to not pay Microsoft, I am committed to putting together my own HTPC from scratch.  Searching the forums, I'm finding that the message boards are way past my level of technical expertise.  I'd like to go what some flavor of Mythbuntu to avoid having to buy Windows.

The overarching goal is for me to build a PVR that can still surf the net.  I don't have a lot of spare parts around so I'm going to have to buy them.  That's ok though, because I want to build something that might be more than I need now, so that it will last 5-7 years without getting too outdated.

Inputs will be the internet and basic cable tv.
Output will be to a tv via HDMI.

Requirements:
Must serve as front end/back end
Quiet
Turns on and off by itself.  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup
Needs to be installer friendly (I have zero linux knowledge).

Below are two TV tuners and a list of the three setups that I'm considering.  I'm putting them out there for you to comment on, but feel free to throw out other suggestions.

Of course I will need a case, HDD, memory, PSU, and other misc parts, but I don't believe those will make any difference in compatibility.

TV Tuner:

Here are two dual tuners that caught my eye:

Hauppauge 2250 w/ remote
I read that the driver for this only supports the digital side of the tuner.  First off, is this true that only the digital channels will work?  Does this mean that I won't be able to watch any of the analog stations from my cable provider?  What other cards that are still in production would work for both analog and digital?

Here's a link to my cable provider for reference.  At the bottom is discusses the signal format.
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/orangecounty/tv/channel-lineup.cox

SiliconDust HDHomeRun Network-based Dual Digital HDTV Tuner Ethernet Interface
This seems like a popular tuner on Newegg and I like the idea of having the TV stream through ethernet. Seems like the same problem as the Hauppauge with only supporting digital channels.  Anyone have any experience with this device?

Systems

1. Overkill
CPU: i7 920
Mobo: EVGA X58 SLI LE
Video: EVGA 512-P3-1213-LR GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

Concerns
Video: Is there a Nvidia driver for the GeForce 210?  Can I get audio out through the HDMI?

2. More than enough
CPU: i5 670
Mobo: ASUS P7H55-M PRO LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX
Video: Built in Intel HD Graphics

Concerns
Mobo: Any limitations (besides cases) using a mATX
Mobo/Video: Is there a driver for the Intel HD Graphics chipset?  Can I get audio out through the HDMI?  Will this output 1080p?

3. Pretty good
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE
Mobo: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI
Video: Built in ATI Radeon 4200

Concerns
Video: Is there a driver for the Radeon 4200? Can I get audio out through the HDMI?