[vox-tech] NAS/Printer Server/Web Server?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 24 19:01:50 PDT 2010

Quoting Alex Mandel (tech_dev at wildintellect.com):

> How do you RAID 2 external USB enclosures as a network drive, or are you
> talking software raid with both plugged in to a computer?

The latter.

With a Sheevaplug, NSLU2, or similar (not to mention more-conventional
hardware), doing Linux md RAID1, assuming one can make sure the
bootloader works properly from either drive, I consider that an optimal
storage redundancy solution.  Remirroring after a drive failure does
indeed bog down the host a bit, but tolerably, whereas md RAID5
restriping after drive failure exacts a pretty awful performance hit.

(And with 2 TB drives as cheap as they are, 50% RAID storage overhead
seems absolutely fine to me.)

In that usage scenario, the expense of serious hardware RAID seems
absurd given that very little benefit.