[vox-tech] NAS/Printer Server/Web Server?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Jun 24 18:25:55 PDT 2010

The NSLU2 looks interesting but doesn't seem to be available any longer.

The Sheevaplug seems on par with the Fit-pc I was looking at but also
appears to be a little obscure in terms of purchasing and sounds like
more work to just get the OS I want onto it since it's ARM based and the
Fit-pc is x86 compatible.

Anyone have any thoughts on connecting something like the following as
an external usb 2 drive hardware RAID?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182144
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121060

I guess the other question, for a use case like this, infrequent copies
of data for backup does it matter if it's software or hardware RAID?
I kind of liked the idea of just popping in a drive and having build the
RAID without me doing anything.

Thanks for the conversation, it always seems so simple at first until
you get into the fact that there are lots of little details.

Thanks,
Alex