[vox-tech] NAS/Printer Server/Web Server?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Jun 24 16:20:40 PDT 2010

On 06/24/2010 02:27 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> So I need to replace my dying NAS/Print server and was contemplating a
> low power web server (5-10 watts) so I could stop leaving a
> workstation/server on all the time.
>
> Aside from the massive question of what to get, there's the tricky part
> of should this be 1 device or 2?
>
> It seems like a NAS with hardware RAID and 2-4 drives and 2-4 usb ports
> would do the trick nicely, but I'm having a hard time finding out how
> much power these things take and many of them seem to have custom linux
> setups with oddities that would prevent me from saying running
> apache/mod_wsgi/trac or plone (the 2 things I use for my websites).
>
> Is the trade-off of a less flexible linux install for a simpler
> printer/network share config worth it? (I've done a samba printer share
> before but it took me several days to figure out)
>
> Anyone have any suggestions about devices?
>
> I've been poking at:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122022
> http://www.amazon.com/fit-PC-Slim-Diskless/dp/B001L4I9HK
> and some other similar stuff...
>

> Thanks,
> Alex

I may have found answers to my own questions.

Option 1: a fit-pc-slim or similar with a usb enclosure for hard drives.
Cons- would have to configure printer share, file share etc all from
scratch.
Pro runs straight ubuntu or gentoo and is super low power. (Though the
drive enclosure may make it equivalent)

Option 2: A Netgear ReadyNAS Duo
Cons- it's a netgear hacked version of debian (actually sounds better
than the ipkg based other NAS systems so it's almost a Pro). Uses a lot
more power 30-40 Watts. It's a 32 bit Sparc based processor, guess thats
not that odd considering the other NAS I've seen are ARM or PPC. Nobody
seems to use x86, atom etc in NAS, any idea why?
Pro - simpler setup for most use cases, larger drive support and RAID
features than simple 2 drive enclosures. Automatic usage of usb APC UPS
units.

Cost for both methods seem to come out about the same.

Note to self: For some reason I'd never really thought about the fact
that you should put such a device on a UPS. In hindsite this is probably
what killed my previous NAS drive. So in all this the key is now I'm
getting a UPS specifically for my NAS, router since they are in a common
room where printers can be attached.

For those curious I'm probably going Option 2, for the price it just
seems easier to manage and since it takes most debs from standard lenny
repos should be able to run all my python based web stuff.

Hope these notes help others find their way.

Thanks,
Alex