[vox-tech] Memory addressing?

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 11:36:54 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 10:42 -0700, timriley at appahost.com wrote:
> [...]

12 bytes in IPv4, 36 bytes in IPv6.

> I thought to my self, on a very large implementation (say
> Google) the table could grow to a billion entries. Could a hash table
> store this amount in memory? Could you allocate an array of half the
> total memory? Could you allocate an array of a billion integers? Brian,
> on his laptop, couldn't allocate a billion integers. But he could
> allocate a billion characters (bytes). Since I thought both bytes and
> integers were words, and since I thought memory stored words
> like registers stored words, we had our discussion.
>
> The following failed to compile with an array-to-large error:
> int main( void )
> {
>      int table[ 1000000000 ];
>      return 0;
> }

On a 32-bit machine, this will eat up most of the computer's address
space, including *all* application space, and some kernel space (so you
can expect things to segfault). On a 64-bit machine, it should work
though.

It in fact compiles perfectly on a 64-bit machine, so what your
compiler's doing is detecting the OS and architecture's limits and
warning you about them.

Malloc should make this compile on a 32-bit machine, but the code will
fail to run -- malloc should return an error.

> The following succeeded to compile:
> int main( void )
> {
>      char table[ 1000000000 ];
>      return 0;
> }

> This compiles but core dumps:
> #include <stdio.h>
> int main( void )
> {
>      char table[ 1000000000 ];
>      printf( "Hello world!\n" );
> }

Stuff gets pushed on the stack after the end of the array, approximately
1GB into memory. This means you have a stack that's 1GB long when you
get inside printf, which is seriously much more than the OS is prepared
to let you have for your stack. (This will overflow the stack whether
your machine is 32-bits or 64-bits.) Try mallocing your array instead.

(Oh and change that printf to be printf("%px Hello world\n",table); so
you can see whether the allocation is working.)

If you're looking at an IDS that big, you're going to need to find an
appropriate caching data structure that can write the infrequently used
parts out to disk. Or you're going to have to find some other way of
minimizing the number of packets you're keeping track of at a time.