[vox-tech] PATH Changing

Anahita Yazdi atyazdi at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 17 00:28:14 PDT 2010

Hi again,

I have been trying to change the PATH on two computers: one is mac osx and
the other one is Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) But I faced several problems and
basically I have the following questions:

I changed the PATH on terminal on the Linux using "set PATH" command and I
accidentally changed it to a wrong one. How would I be able to undo PATH
basically? what is the command for it? Because the "set" command just adds
to the PATH without letting me change it.

My other question is regarding changing the PATH permanently in bash shell
for mac. When I change the PATH on the terminal, I realize it doesnt
permanently change it. I realized the PATH I have in X11 terminal is
different from the one on regular terminal. and once I close terminal page
and reopen it again the PATH is gone back to its original form. How can a
PATH be changed permanently on both terminals?

Lastly a weird solid gray color screen pops on the background when I open up
X11 terminal which the only way to get rid of it is keying "control Q". Does
anyone by any chance had this problem before? Or knows why would this
happen?

I will really be appreciated if anyone would be able to help me with these
issues. Thank you so much in advance,
Anahita