[vox-tech] Using Android phone to connect Linux laptop to Internet?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Jul 16 16:58:13 PDT 2010

Quick question.  My wife wants to get some new Android phones
to replace our current ones, and it sounds like we can at the
same time drop the Sprint cell modem that I've got right now
for telecommuting purposes.

HOWEVER, the guy at the store who was telling her about
Android 2.2's "hotspot" feature mentioned software for
Windows & Mac, which has caused hesitation.

Does anyone out here know, off-hand, if we have this...

  * T-Mobile
  * Android phone (e.g., a 2.2 one with this hotspot feature)
  * Linux laptop

...is it possible to get the laptop onto the Internet?
Is there a bandwidth limit or overage charges?

The Sprint modem we're paying ~$60/mo for has _no limit_, which is why
we haven't just tried doing some USB-cable nonsense that I'm fairly
sure I can do, even with my ancient Android 1.6(?) phone.

If I find time to research it and come up with an answer, I'll
post it.  In the meantime, I'm hoping someone out here just
knows already. ;)

Sent from my computer