[vox-tech] Permission Denied Error

Matthew Holland mdholland at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jul 9 11:07:35 PDT 2010

It seems pretty clear to me from the OP's further clarifications that
this is a header file that belongs to a third party application, and
the effects of editing the header file in question are known to the
poster.  The OP's lack of familiarity with UNIX comes through, and I
think this is rousing everyone's protective instincts.  Fine, but this
all probably resulted from untarring the source code with sudo in the
first place, so I think we can all just calm down with the warnings.

I should add that I screwed up the chown command in my first response.
 It should be "chown username file" instead of "chown file username."
Sorry for any confusion.

I would recommend the the OP that if you're going to be using a Mac
for this sort of thing, you do some reading on general UNIX use and
administration.  And learn to read man pages, if you don't know
already.  All will become clear in good time.

Matt