[vox-tech] Virtual Server Hardware Allocation

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Jan 31 22:59:16 PST 2010

So I don't really need help picking out hardware, that's pretty well
defined by a budget and relative idea of what we are doing with the
machines. What I do need help with is coming up with a way to figure out
how much ram/cpu each function needs. Specifically I don't want to waste
cores/ram where they won't be used.

So here is the breakdown of the services, which of the following would
benefit the most from 1. multiple cpus, 2. more ram
For the purposes of the exercise the total number of cores is 16 and ram
is 144GB (probably close to what I'll get split on 2 servers)

Here are the theoretical virtual machines by function:

Download - File Serving of ISO files and software packages 10MB-4.7GB,
10,000 files a month

Mail/Listserve - 100 mailing lists, 10,000 unique subscribers (sorry I
don't have a traffic estimate), only 20 sparsely used actual mail accounts

LAMP - Drupal, Joomla, MediaWiki with MySQL backend (Should the db get
it's own allocation?)

Trac/Svn - Postgres backend, 30 projects, 10 are very active 10+ commits
per day

Buildbot - least critical application

I realize there might be leftover resources, which just free's up my
hands to split some of the tasks like LAMP and buildbot across more than
one machine to keep one process from slowing everyone else.

So just think not about minimum requirements but adequate, and not
wasting resources.

Thanks,
Alex