[vox-tech] [OT] Uploading an image to Wikipedia (licensing)

Peter Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Jan 5 21:07:18 PST 2010

I'm writing a Wikipedia article, and want to upload an image (the
first time I'm uploading multimedia to Wikipedia).  I found what
appears to be a contradiction in Wikipedia's uploading policy.

First of all, the image I want to upload is not mine, but the person
who took the photo gave me permission to use it for the article:

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I have attached a copy of
Salih's most recent portrait taken by myself, and owned by the ICMA
Centre.

You have express permission from me, as the photographer and as a
representative of the ICMA Centre, to use this image on wikipedia.

I hope this covers the required grounds - I'm afraid I don't have time
to read up the implications of OC licenses etc (hence the delay in me
getting back to you), so let me know if you need anything more.

Kind regards,
André

Here's where the apparent contradiction comes.  According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Uploading_images

     in the cases of images where their owners have stipulated they be
used for non-commercial purposes only,
     under new guidelines such images may no longer be uploaded into
Wikipedia except by the express permission
     of those owners. [1]

But when you follow the endnote [1], it leads to this text:

     All images which are for non-commercial only use and by
permission only are not acceptable for Wikipedia and will be deleted.

So on one hand, I can upload the image because I have the express
permission from the owner.  On the other hand, because the image is
"by permission only" it is not acceptable for Wikipedia and will be
deleted.

Does anyone understand the Wikipedia policy and/or has a higher
tolerance for understanding licenses than I do (which is admittedly
very low).  My sense is that the image owner wants his picture to be
used for the Wikipedia article, but may be unwilling to allow the
image to be used for commercial purposes.

Help?

Pete