[vox-tech] Problems installing and running UNIX based programs

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Feb 28 15:12:17 PST 2010

Jason Snyder wrote:
> I am having problems with installing programs on LINUX ubuntu 9.10.  That
> includes having problems setting environments using setenv.  Is it possible
> to have some one go over the program webpages to help me install
> some of these programs?
>
> One such program is called GrADS on the website for this is:
>

> http://www.iges.org/grads/downloads.html
>
> Based on this website can you help give me guidance on how to install
> GrADS?  This would help be to able to install other similar programs.
>
> Another program I tried installing is NetCDF:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/
>
> when I tried running the install program make install I got the following
> message:
>
> snyderjm at snyderjm-laptop:~/Desktop/netcdf-4.0.1$ make install
> Making install in f90
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/snyderjm/Desktop/netcdf-4.0.1/f90'
> make  install-am
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/snyderjm/Desktop/netcdf-4.0.1/f90'
> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/snyderjm/Desktop/netcdf-4.0.1/f90'
> make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
> test -z "/usr/local/share/man/man3" || /bin/mkdir -p
> "/usr/local/share/man/man3"
> /bin/mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/share/man/man3': Permission
> denied
> make[3]: *** [install-man3] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/snyderjm/Desktop/netcdf-4.0.1/f90'
> make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/snyderjm/Desktop/netcdf-4.0.1/f90'
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/snyderjm/Desktop/netcdf-4.0.1/f90'
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Netcdf

sudo make install
(This command requires permission to write to /usr/local so you need to
use sudo)

If version 3.6 works for you though just use it from the repositories.
sudo apt-get install netcdf-bin
The advantage is that you don't have to worry about it, and the python
bindings are also available.

As for GrADS
./configure
make
sudo make install

should work...

Though for all cases where you use make install I highly suggest
checkinstall (you need to install it first)
sudo checkinstall
This creates a deb package specific to your machine and the package gets
installed via the package manager which keeps the system cleaner for
upgrades later.

Alex