[vox-tech] Ripping Vinyl LPs

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Feb 18 21:39:55 PST 2010

On 02/18/2010 08:19 PM, Aaron Brayton wrote:
> Hello again everyone!
>
> My dad is interested in ripping his old vinyl LPs/records.  I know there
> are some different hardware and software out there that accomplish this,
> and I wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience, good or bad, and
> if they would share.
>
> Thanks!
> Aaron

Yes, the generic usb-turntable (ion, I got mine at costco a few years
back) that's everywhere now works well. You'll need good cleaning
supplies, I got a brush from the record store in mid-town.

I do not recommend going from a stereo or traditional turntable directly
to sound cards, you almost always want the conversion to happen outside
the actual machine so you don't get clicking from sounds inside your
case. Looks like ion now makes a generic usb sound bridge now too
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882698026&Tpk=ion%20record

Note: the ion brand stuff "software" is actually the open source
Audacity application, with a couple of add on filters and tools can find
and split your recording into individual tracks and compress to your
preferred format.

Alex