[vox-tech] HTPC/Media Center build questions

Aaron Brayton aaronb at mcn.org
Tue Feb 16 17:52:47 PST 2010

Bill,

Wow.  Lots of info. Thanks!

I've focused on a few of your points...

You don't like Intel or ATI for GPU.  I'm a fan of nvidia myself.
However, I'm also a fan of Asus and I can't seem to find a good nvidia
HDMI mobo from Asus .  Gigabyte seems to only work with ATI. I'll keep
looking.  (Asus and Gigabyte are the only two mobo brands I've worked
with.  I know there are others, are there brands you recommend?) (My
current compromise, to have a quad core CPU is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128397 but it
has ATI graphics.)

I have to claim ignorance about the real time encoding.  Do you have any
more information on it?  How is real time encoding
implemented/where/when would it be used?  I'm not sure if this will be
something I'll need or not.

I'll look into the ION2.

The Intel atom ITX boards you mentioned.  Can you give me some
examples?  (The boards have little or no expansion....for a TV tuner card.)

Thank you for your help, please forgive my ignorance.

Aaron