[vox-tech] Contacts app on Android

Troy Arnold troy-vox at zenux.net
Mon Aug 23 14:37:14 PDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 05:39:17PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> So I've got a T-Mobile 3G MyTouch Slide (an HTC phone w/ Google & HTC
> Sense stuff preinstalled).
>
> It's almost perpetually telling me it's almost out of space (internal
> storage). If I tap that warning in the notifications, it launches "Manage
> applications", which allows me to sort by storage use.
>
> By far the largest is "Contacts," at over 60MB. I think this is because
> my overzealous acceptance of its offers to link up contacts between apps.
> (E.g., I can tie a phone contact to their Facebook contact info & photo)
>
> Unfortunately, I don't really know what I can do to reduce how much space
> this behemoth uses, without deleting contacts...
>
> Has anyone out here had a similar situation, and if so, any clues on how
> to reduce Contacts' storage use?

Wow. That seems like an atrocious amount of storage for contacts. If your
contact app has the capability to import/export to .vcf, try that.  I
wonder if such a cycle might clean up deleted but un-reclaimed space in the
contacts db.  You could also explore the exported .vcf file and see if you
can determine where the bloat is.  Is is dumb enough to store a multi-mB
photo for a contact maybe?

As a point of reference, my ~90 item android (2.1) contact list exports to
< 1MB.

-t