[vox-tech] USB confusion

David Spencer, Internet Handyman spencer at pageweavers.com
Thu Aug 19 15:00:36 PDT 2010

I had an old eMachines computer sitting at my office doing nothing so I
decided to put it to work. I installed CentOS workstation on it this morning.
Now I have a fun little Linux machine for my personal use.

However, I more in mind than just building a playground computer. I had
some SATA drives that I wanted to mount in external USB 2 enclosures and
pull off some files. I plugged the enclosure into one of the USB ports on
the computer and no reaction. Nothing. So I started to doubt that the USB
was working, so I stuck in a thumb drive that I had. Normally, when I
stick my thumb drive into my Mac, there's a light that comes on and the
drive is mounted on the desktop. But once again, nothing. No lights, no
autosense, nada.

So how do I figure this out guys? If I do directory of /dev I see four
usbdev stubs (or whatever they're called) so I know that something USB
was installed. Where should I start?

-- Dave Spencer, PageWeavers