[vox-tech] Convincing Mutt to search inside attachments?

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Thu Aug 19 09:08:54 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 02:52:23PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> I've found that this can be extremely handy in a large mailbox:
>
>   [L]imit  "~t recipient ~s subject ~b sometext"
>
> However, the messages I'm trying to search or limit contain
> some text inside ATTACHMENTS (tab-delimited or XML text files),
> and neither "~b" (match in body) or "~B" (match in whole email) seem
> to look in those.
>
> Any suggestions?  (I'm looking into grepmail, but my ISP's shell
> doesn't currently have it installed (I just asked them to :) ), and
> the mailboxes are uber-large.  I'd rather not pull down tons of
> stuff to my laptop, just to find an email or two.)

Bill, that sounds like Mime decoding. I am looking at a raw message
and here is what I see for png. It sounds like you are going to have
to write a handler to search when you find a certain MIME type.
I bet this could be incorporated into mutt if someone hasn't already
done it.

-----_=_NextPart_001_01CB3FB3.A23F227E

Here is a PERL package that does the MIME decoding for you.
http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/Email-MIME-1.903/lib/Email/MIME.pm

> PS - how do people live without Mutt!?

Live with it. Sometimes, I have to save a mail and open it with evolution
to see all the graphics though. I am probably not doing it right though.

brian