[vox-tech] Anyone munge "From" in Mutt?

Mike Simons msimons at simons-clan.com
Thu Sep 24 19:49:13 PDT 2009

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:57:32PM -0700, Bill Kendrick nbs-at-sonic.net |lugod| wrote:
> > I'm subscribed to a couple Google Groups, and Google has my virtual
> > email address at one of my domain names (which is simply delivered to
> > my /real/ address by my ISP).
[...]

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 05:06:29PM -0700, Ryan wrote:
> I think you want the reverse_name and reverse_realname options in mutt.

I agree with Ryan, reverse_name is probably what you want,
you'll need to teach mutt which addresses are "you" and
there are several ways.

Here's what I use:
===
alternates ^.*@mysite.com$

set reverse_name=yes
===

reverse_name has mutt check to addresses for your email addresses
if one matches it uses *that* as the From automatically when you
reply.

alternates is a regular expression, which is used to say what email
addresses are "you", could use a specific list like:
===
set alternates=(msimons at saic1.com)|(msimons at fizban.sgum.mci.com)
===

Here's why I use that...

I create junk email aliases for each business I give my email to.
Then use /etc/aliases to map those addresses to the account I check
often.  Using the mutt reverse_name option, I reply to email and
it automatically uses the garbage address for them.

If someone has a security breach (like TD Ameritrade did or one of
my credit unions) and some spammers start sending me junk using their
random email I know exactly who leaked the address and can shut off
the spam in a minute (generate a new address/update aliases) then
waste ten minutes on hold to (notify the business of their breach/
direct them to email my new address).