[vox-tech] two networks, one app

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Sep 9 17:34:13 PDT 2009

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to transparently get network connectivity from two network
> interfaces, say eth1 and wlan1, at the same time?  I guess which one is used
> depends on which one is busy at any given moment.
>
> Suppose I had two working interfaces -- how would such a thing be
> accomplished?
>
> If it can't, is there any way to leverage two network connections to make my
> apparent connection to the internet faster?
>
> Thanks!
> Pete

Yes it is possible, I have never personally done it but have seen it in
many gamer and server forums. Note most people use 2 ethernet ports for
this, I'm not sure it would work well with one being a wireless card
considering the extra latency.
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1053416.html

You can also do things like load balancing across the nics or some
services hit one and some the other. I have a machine with nics on two
different subnets to skirt some firewall issues.

Alex