[vox-tech] Fwd: Very slow off net

Richard Harke paleopenguin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 15:16:26 PDT 2009

Sorry. I was trying to keep it short.
Linux, of course. Debian etch for amd-64

/etchosts has a 127.0.0.1 localhost grassmann
line plus a line 192.168.0.21 grassmann.harke.org grassmann
and similar for my other machines on this lan
every thing on this lan has fixed IP address

One mystery solved. /etc/resolv.conf has the IP addresses for openDNS
But I don't know how they got there. The file is dated 10/20 so it might be
from when I used the wifi at Borders. I had to change my interfaces file
and do a ifup ath0=borders to get connected. Could that have given
permission to rewrite /etc/resolv.conf?
I guess I could check this out the next time I'm at Borders.

I used wireshark to trace the net happenings. I just retried with the net
connected
to see if there was any follow up to the DNS query.  For firfox, er
iceweasel,
there was but for a card game no follow up.