[vox-tech] how to handle spaces in a directory path

Hai Yi yihai2004 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 09:45:39 PDT 2009

Hi, i know this is a simple one but it's also a haunting ghost. :-)

This is what I set in my .bashrc:

export VIM_HOME='/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Vim/vim72'
export VC_HOME='/cygdrive/c/"Program Files"/"Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0"/VC'

and This is what I tested from cygwin console:

$ echo $VIM_HOME
/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Vim/vim72

hai at zodiac-1 ~
$ cd $VIM_HOME
bash: cd: /cygdrive/c/Program\: No such file or directory

hai at zodiac-1 ~
$ echo $VC_HOME
/cygdrive/c/"Program Files"/"Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0"/VC

hai at zodiac-1 ~
$ cd $VC_HOME
bash: cd: /cygdrive/c/"Program: No such file or directory

Anyone can tell me what is the proper way to handle spaces in a
directory path? In a cygwin environment?

Thanks !

Hai