[vox-tech] Wired & Wireless connection problems - Jaunty KDE4.3

Thomas Johnston trjohnston at ucdavis.edu
Thu Nov 19 08:51:35 PST 2009

OK. So I figured it out.  It turns out that my networking issues had
nothing to do with the KDE upgrade.  On the same day I upgraded KDE,
my labmate put his personal wireless router in the lab.  I tried
establishing a manual connection as Eric suggested and noticed that I
was getting DHCPNAK message.  After quite a bit of time on Google
looking for DHCPNAK and what it meant, I found a forum post saying
that there was a known bug with certain routers causing them to reject
connections from computers with names greater than 15 characters.  I
changed my computer name and presto! The interwebs were restored!
Sweet.  For now at least ... let's see what else goes wrong.

Thanks Eric!