[vox-tech] Fwd: Very slow off net

Richard Harke paleopenguin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 17:23:06 PST 2009

All of his info on DNS is valuable but not relevant to my problem as it
happens
when I'm not connected to the net. To show how serious this is, I did a few
timings.
boot-up to login prompt: 4 minutes, 5 seconds
login till ready to use: 4 minutes
shutdow: 1 minute plus
when connected to the net
boot-up to login prompt: 42 seconds
login till ready to use: 15 seconds
shutdown: 15 seconds

These long delays use up 10 percent of my battery before I can even start
to work!

That it happens during boot-up exonerates gnome but seems to mean the
problem is in some very fundemental part of the system.

I tried to upgrade to "lenny" with apt-get upgrade but this did not change
the
kernel and the problem remained. I finally did a full, new install of lenny
and he problem is gone. As a side benefit, it appears my built-in
broadcom wi-fi may now work.

Richard