[vox-tech] Converting to Kubuntu

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat May 9 08:29:41 PDT 2009

Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p at dirac.org):

> I definitely plan on installing K/Ubuntu as soon as classes are over (and I
> think I'll take Chris's advice on the installer because I'm pretty sure he's
> spot on with that).

Chris _is_ spot-on with that.  Whenever installing any *buntu variant, I
always favour the "alternate disk" for that purpose, because its
ncurses-based installer, which as Chris says is good ol'
debian-installer itself, is faster (partly on account of RAM), gives
better access to options, and more robustly deals with hardware and
other problems.

> Truth be told, I'm desktop agnostic.

You might want to look at Xfce4.  Like GNOME, gtk+-based, but somewhat
lighter-weight.

Me, I personally just disable session management, install Window Maker,
and use that.  DEs just don't do anything for me, so "none of them,
please" suits me.