[vox-tech] multi-media center

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Sat May 2 00:17:45 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I'd like to build a multi-media system attached to a TV and stereo.  It'll
hold all my audio and video files.  I'd like to run mythTV on it.

This is probably a good to buy a TV and new stereo/speakers, too.

I don't really know much about TVs.  Haven't owned one in years.  What kinds
of features should I be looking for when I purchase a TV?  Any specific
TV recommendations?  I've never hooked a TV up to a computer before, so I
don't really know what's involved or what features are available to me.

Same question about stereos and speakers.  I have about 200GB of mp3s and
would like to play them on a stereo system with speakers in the kitchen,
living room, and bedroom (3 pairs of speakers).  Are there any
features/ports in particular that I should be looking for when purchasing a
stereo that I intend to use primarily with a Linux box providing an audio
stream?  It would be nice to be able to conveniently switch the audio stream
to headphones or my workstation's speakers instead of the stereo speakers,
too.

I've hooked up my Linux box to my stereo in the distant past, and the
results were unacceptably "tinny".  Not sure if it was because of a poor
soundcard, wrong type of connection, etc.  It was awful.  I'd like to build
a system with lots of power and high quality sound output.

I really am a newbie at this.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  I don't
mind spending a bit on a TV and stereo that makes me happy.

After purchasing the TV and stereo, I plan on piecing together a multimedia
system.

Thanks!
Peter